What to do for a wasp sting?

Wasp sting are common bites experienced by people especially during warmer seasons when people are outdoors for longer time. Wasps can be described as small insects such as bees, ants, hornets etc that belong to Hymenoptera or its sub-type Apocrita. They have smoother stringers which can be withdrawn from the human skin easily. This enables them to sting a person several times. Wasps are aggressive and their sting can be toxic, particularly in bees. The stings are often uncomfortable but people recover quickly from the discomfort unless allergic to it.

It is recorded that in over 10% of individuals the sting may cause “large local reaction”. ‘Large local reaction’ is a term used to refer to a condition wherein a bite or sting causes more widespread symptoms. Studies indicate that around 3% people of the bitten individuals suffer from allergic reactions which can also be life threatening.

Sponsored link.

In wasps, such as bees and hornets, the stinger is a weapon of self defense. Wasp sting usually causes transmission of venom to the human skin. The stinger contains poisonous venom which comprise of certain protein and other substance. A wasp can sting or attack more than once as the stinger remains undamaged. However, in case of bees particularly, because sting of bees is left in the skin during stinging it cannot sting more than once. However, in all cases the sting can cause serious discomfort, such as excruciating pain, burning sensation or irritation.

Wasps Sting Symptoms

Majority of people becoming victim of wasp sting show minimal symptoms, if not allergic to it. The initial sensation that is experienced during and sometimes even after the sting is burning sensation with pain. One may need emergency medical attention if serious symptoms develop which are seen in case of allergic reactions. There are several factors considered while addressing a bitten individual. These may include the location of the sting, developed symptoms, number stings, bodily response of immune system to the sting, health of victim, etc.

Local reaction symptoms of wasp sting

  • ·         Pain
  • ·         Redness
  • ·         Swelling
  • ·         Warmth
  • ·         Itchiness
  • ·         Stung spot becomes swollen
  • ·         Bacterial infection in 1 to 2 days
  • ·         Localized hives around the stung region

The aforementioned are minor symptoms which may disappear in few hours and without medical intervention. In case if the reactions are persistent and last for days, then one should consult a doctor. On the other hand there are some people who may suffer from serious reactions due to wasp sting. People who are at risk of developing serious health reactions are older individuals, very young people, asthmatic and allergic individuals. Since they have greater sensitivity stings of wasp they may respond severely to a certain intensity of sting as compared to other normal individuals. Some of the serious symptoms of wasp sting are:

  • ·         Hive all over body
  • ·         Itching with hives
  • ·         Skin flushing
  • ·         Swollen face
  • ·         Respiratory difficulties
  • ·         Stomach cramps
  • ·         Pain in the joints
  • ·         Queasiness and vomiting
  • ·         Breathing issues
  • ·         Shock or trauma
  • ·         Anxiousness
  • ·         Hypotension

It is crucial to call for emergency medical support in case if serious side effects of the condition are recorded. This is because these symptoms may also lead to death if not addressed immediately.

Sponsored link.

Causes of Wasp Sting

There are 13 different antigens in venom of wasps of different type. The sting cause serious intense pain. The venom of these insects causes the acetylcholine in the body to react to them and stimulates is course of action. As a result of inflammatory process, severe vascular spasm occurs. The venom may also directly cause the release of histamine which results in inflammatory response causing localized protrusion of the skin and redness. In people who have never been exposed to a wasp sting before, the antigen may lead to serious reactions.

Wasp sting is said to be a common occurrence throughout the world. But remember that wasps often sting people when they are disturbed or provoked. The stinger is their weapon of self-defense that contains venom which causes reactions. Allergic reaction, such as anaphylactic reaction, is hypersensitivity to injected venom. People who have a highly sensitive immune system may respond severely to the venom. Allergic reactions can be localized but they often spread out to the body. These serious reactions can be fatal.

Treatment for wasp sting

In mild cases, the wasp sting may not cause serious symptoms as such and thus treatment may not be necessary. If the discomfort lasts for over two days then consult your doctor immediately. You should also call for emergency health support if serious symptoms are experienced. First of all if you are bitten by a wasp, try to determine what type it was if spotted while stinging. Check if the sting is still penetrated in the skin if yes then remove it using tweezers. Wash away the stung spot under running water and apply cold pad which may provide relief. If itchiness is recorded, calamine lotion can be used to reduce itchy sensation.

Doctor may prescribe medicine if needed in moderate to severe cases. He may also suggest topical solutions to be applied directly in the punctured skin to decrease symptoms. Oral medication will be suggested in serious cases of reaction. Remember that moderate to serious cases should not be handled without doctor’s advice. Hence, if stung by a wasp, consult a doctor in case symptoms do not decrease even after two days.

Wasp sting pictures

 

Sponsored link.

Filed in: Diseases and Conditions | Tags: , , , , , ,

About the Author (Author Profile)

Leave a Reply

Trackback URL | RSS Feed for This Entry