Burp, as we all know, is secondary way of expelling surplus gas through mouth. Sulfur burp is a similar phenomenon except that it has a distinct unpleasant smell of sulfur which is why it is named as Sulfur burp. The smell may seem similar to the smell of a rotten egg. Though the condition is said to be normal, it may be embarrassing for the affected individual. These are also sometimes referred to as ‘eggy burps’. This foul smell expelled with the burp is due to H2S which is Hydrogen Sulfide. It is said that the gas originates from sulfur protein based foods. The sulfur reducing microbes in the gastro intestinal tract break these proteins during digestion.
These burps can affect anyone irrespective of the age. It is also common to experience sulfur burps during pregnancy due to influenced digestion process. In some cases wherein additional symptoms are recorded, such as vomiting, queasiness or diarrhea, it is essential to consult a doctor and get yourself treated. Seeking medical aid in such situations is crucial as the condition may indicate underlying issues such as stomach infection, irritable bowel syndrome or even intestinal infection. Such condition often requires immediate medical attention.
Foods that cause sulfur burps
Since sulfur burp may result due to certain food it is beneficial to understand what food may cause such eggy burps. There are several edible items which are blamed to cause the condition. For example food rich in protein which are often difficult to be digested and remain for longer in the stomach may produce excessive hydrogen sulfide and lead to smelly burps. Vegetarian as well as non-vegetarian, both kinds of food can cause the condition. Some of these foods are listed below
Vegetarian foods causing Sulfur burps
- Ipomoea batatas or Sweet Potatoes
Non Vegetarian foods causing eggy burps
- Red meat
- Dairy items
- Processed non-veg foods
These are not all but some foods that may cause sulfur burps. But you should understand that not always these foods can cause such burps. It is only when you consume any of these in excessive amount or improper quality you may suffer from smelly burp. There are also some beverages such as tea, coffee etc which may also sometimes lead to egg-smell burps. Apart from the aforementioned edible items even fruits like coconut, bananas or cashews may serve as a reason for such unpleasant burps. Hence, if you think you are recurrent victim of the condition try avoiding these eatables from your diet.
What causes sulfur burps
There are numerous factors which may cause sulfur burps which is why the condition is widely recorded. Some of these factors mentioned below:
- Helicobacter Pylori can cause Sulfur burp. Helicobacter Pylori bacterium can cause condition such as gastric, ulcer, stomach bloating, burp as well as heartburn. Giardia is a cell parasite which can also lead to diarrhea, bloating, smelly burps etc. These invaders can affect through improper hygiene, inappropriate water, etc.
- High protein foods take long time to break down as the body may not be able to digest them faster. This may cause acidic built up due to chemical reaction which leads to increased amount of hydrogen sulfide. One hydrogen sulfide and excessive protein in the body is ejected the condition may become normal.
- SIBO or Small Intestinal Bacterial Overgrowth is a disease that may also be associated with occurrence of Sulfur Burp. SIBO may also be related to malabsorption of fructose or intolerance to lactose. The condition causes burping, flatulence, diarrhea as well as bloating. In conditions such as Crohn’s Disease or celiac disease the digestion becomes affected which is why such smelly burp may take place.
There are also some medicinal drugs which can lead to such eggy burps. Especial medicines that have sulfur in it may contribute to cause the condition.
Treating sulfur burps
Sulfur burps are not always serious but if associated with certain conditions such as stomach ulcer, Giardia, etc, it is crucial to consult a doctor. Your doctor will analyze your condition and suggest you treatment accordingly. Here are some suggestions that you can adopt to supplement your treatment regimen.
- Ingesting plenty of clean water as it will help in maintaining body hydration and ensure proper digestion
- Go for natural detoxification agents such as herbal green tea to improve your digestion
- Avoid consuming processed or canned foods
- Considerably decrease ingestion of alcohol
- Try to avoid foods that are rich source of sugar such as chocolates, cakes, sweet drinks, etc
- Carbonated drinks are often based on artificial sweetener which can also affect your digestion
If you determine that the condition may be a result of medicinal side effect than speak with your doctor and seek alternative option. Smelly burp occurring due to infection are often treated using prescribed antibiotics. Eggy burp due to conditions such as Crohn’s disease, etc, can be treated by controlling the primary condition first. One suggested home remedy to deal with such egg-smell burp is drinking warm water added with honey and lemon every morning as soon as you get up. Despite of trying several treatment options if sulfur burp does not cure then consult your health expert immediately.